Monday, March 17, 2008

Got 'er done...

I took the plunge!

After spending yesterday thinking about it, I decided that I should go take one more look at the Trail Team edition FJ Cruiser that I had a refundable deposit on. As soon as I saw it... it hit me (again) - I had to have it.

After all, it is extremely functional, practical, absolutely beautiful, and isn't expensive.

It is now sitting in my driveway. :) Unfortunately, my new FJ didn't come from the factory with the roof rack. I just don't get it. I think the FJ's look weird without a rack on top and should be standard equipment. Fortunately, the dealership ordered one for me and is giving it to me free of charge. It's supposed to come in this week. I can't wait. It looks naked without it. Doesn't look as rugged.

First impressions - the FJ drives really smooth. It's comfortable. I have to admit, like every review I've read on it, the "blind spots" are a little scary. Fortunately, the huge side mirrors take care of this. I think the reason some people feel uncomfortable about the so-called blind spots is because they are used to turning their head to check the next lane. If you do that in the FJ, you'll definitely feel nervous. However, once you build the confidence in relying on the side mirrors, the problem is solved. This is what I felt when I first drove it from the dealership. Now, I'm fairly comfortable using the side mirrors. For more peace of mind, I'll probably go buy those little stick-on mirrors for each side mirror. After less than one day of ownership and less than 40 miles :), I love it.

This truck is going to be great for my golf clubs, dogs, and construction-ruined streets of Las Vegas. Also, I can't wait to try some new fishing spots on Lake Mead where I always see other people with 4x4's fishing.

I'm ecstatic that I took that plunge and got 'er done. Pictures coming soon.

-skim

No comments: