Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I MISS my Macbook!

This past Sunday, in the early AM, while packing for my trip back to Vegas and on to Boston, I dropped my laptop on the ground. :( Being in hurry, I just put it in my bag and rushed to the airport. While waiting for my plane, I pulled it out and that's when I realized that I screwed up my Macbook Pro pretty bad.

My MBP would turn on and load the OS. I was able to login, so I thought everything was okay. Then I realized it wasn't... post- authentication, my account wouldn't fully load. I could see my desktop, but couldn't do anything and the cursor just kept spinning. My heart sank. :(

Anyway, when I got back from Boston, I took it to the Apple Store at Town Square in Las Vegas. I met with an "Apple Genius" and he ran some diagnostics on it. Turns out, I blew out parts of my hard drive, but not all of it. I was able to pull some of my data off (lost some too) and left it there for them to replace the hard drive.

Here's the crappy thing - on Saturday, while in LA, I was at Best Buy and I was thinking... I should by a portable external drive for nightly Time Machine backups. I decided against it because I would just buy it from NewEgg.com or Fry's (both places had more selection)when I got back to Vegas from Boston. On Sunday, when I realized that I had f*%ked up my laptop, I really, really wished that I had bought that hard drive. Then I could have got my laptop repaired and restored the backup quickly and easily with no data loss. I'm an idiot.

Last night was the first time in the past 1.5 years I used an XP laptop (loaner from our fabulous Zappos IT folks). Since I became a "switcher", I didn't realize how much I really loved Mac OS X. I really like not having pop-up messages telling me a bunch of things that Windows is doing. I also like the overall UI/UX of a Mac.

I was supposed to pick my MBP today, but they accidentally loaded the wrong version of Leopard onto it and it wasn't functioning properly. Apparently, there are various versions depending on what type of machine it is going on. They are reinstalling the right version tonight. I should have it back tomorrow.

Needless to say, I MISS MY Macbook Pro!

No comments: