Friday, June 20, 2008

My Equipment... The Tranformation

Ok.  So what can I say, I love to try different golf stuff.  It's an expensive "hobby" but I really enjoy it.  Over the years, I have gone through a few sets of irons, a few drivers, tons of putters, various woods and hybrids.  What's great about this "hobby" is that I get know what I really like and what I don't like from real world experience on a golf course and not in a simulator.  Fortunately, eBay is there to help me out with some new stuff and used stuff.  I highly recommend eBay if you're into trying different products... it'll save your wallet.  But, be forewarned, there are a lot of fakes on eBay and you have to be very careful on what you are bidding on.  Fortunately, I've been lucky and avoided fakes.  There is a lot of information on the internet and on eBay to help you avoid getting suckered.

From my experience with various "hardware", I've come to find some commonalities.  For example, I REALLY like Mizuno irons.  I've used Ping, TaylorMade, Callaway, and Mizuno is hands down my favorite.  IMHO, they just have the best feel.  For drivers and woods, it's all Ping for me.  I've used Mizuno, TaylorMade, Callaway, and Ping does it for me.  But, it's not all Ping drivers.  I'm a huge fan of the G2/G5 and not so much a fan of the Rapture.  The Rapture is really long off the tee, but I like the lively response of the G2 or G5.  I haven't tried the G10 (yet), so I don't have any opinions of it.

Anyway, here's what I bag currently looks like:

Ping G5 Driver w/ Aldila NV 65g stiff shaft, Winn PCI Hybrid grip
Ping G2 3-Wood w/ Aldila NV 65g stiff shaft, Winn PCI Hybrid grip
Cleveland Halo Hybrid w/ Dynamic Golf stiff shaft, Golf Pride Decade grip
Mizuno MX-23 irons 4-PW, Dynalite Gold S-300, Golf Pride Decade grip
Cleveland CG10 black pearl wedges, 52 deg, 56 deg, 60 deg, Golf Pride Decade grip
Odyssey Black Series #1 putter, GolfMaster Tour Leather Stitchback grip
Titliest x77 bag

This has been a great set-up for me.  I've really enjoyed using this combination.  Well, I've decided to change it up a little bit.  I've been in the market to buy a second set for guests to use when they come visit Vegas and we end up going golfing.  While looking at what deals I could find, I thought of a few of things:

1.  Why waste a couple hundred $$$ on an older decent set? 
2.  Why waste a couple hundred $$$ on a crappy new set?
3.  I really love Mizuno and think others should give them a try.  After all, everyone who has hit my irons have fallen in love with Mizuno.  They sell themselves!

So, I decided... I'm going to get myself a new set of irons and use my current MX-23's as my guest set.  Mizuno should give me commission because I know they will acquire some new customers.  I decided to upgrade my irons from Game Improvement irons to Player's irons.  With my new instructor and the disciplined practice I'm putting in, I figure I can grow into them.

Here's the transformation... everything is ordered and I'm just waiting for them to arrive:

Ping G5 Driver (carryover)
Ping Rapture Hybrid w/ Aldila ByYou 80g stiff shaft - 18 deg, 21deg, (24 deg?)
Mizuno MP57 irons 4-PW, Dynamic Gold S-300, 2 deg upright lie adjustment
Cleveland CG10 wedges (carryover)
Odyssey Black Series #1 putter (carryover.  Although, I just purchased a new Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 putter.  We'll have to see how it compares as I really love my current putter)
Mizuno 2008 Omega III Cart Bag

I'm looking forward to trying out my new set.  If they hit anywhere near as good as they did in the simulator, I'm stoked!

YEAH BABY!

No comments: