Friday, June 6, 2008

Initial Evaluation - Day 2 Practice

Today was Day 2 of practice after my Initial Evaluation with Tim at GolfTEC. I headed over to the Revere Golf Club to meet up with some friends who were going out as a 3-some to see if I would be able to join them for a few holes since I didn't have time to play 18. No luck on being able to play a few holes (without having to pay for the entire 18), but I did get a little time on the range.

Today was significantly better than yesterday. I think the new stance that I'm working on is starting to settle in with my body. Although I was still a little sore in the lower back, it was a lot more comfortable than yesterday. The new grip is feeling pretty good too. I hit a few balls fairly well and decided to work on one other thing that has been bothering me when I watch myself on video - the direction of the club at the peak of my swing. Essentially, what I did was forced myself not to wind all the way up in my swing. From what I can tell, the reason my club ends up turning to the right at the top of my swing is because I exaggerate the turn of my shoulders just before I get to the peak. Anyway, by forcing myself not to wind up as much, the club is much straighter at the peak and it doesn't appear that I'm losing any distance. In fact, I may have even gained distance since the club stays on a straight plane coming down through impact.

Here is a video clip from my practice session today. Personally, I think it looks a lot better than yesterday. I'm just glad that it's starting to feel more comfortable. I can tell that, with more practice, I'll get this down soon.



Unfortunately I won't get any golf in this weekend. I'm flying to LA later this afternoon for a wedding tomorrow and then on Sunday morning, I'm traveling to Boston to play in The Clark's Companies Foundation Charity Golf Tournament. I went last year and it was a lot of fun. I hope that I'll be able to leverage my new stance and grip to hit some great shots. If not, I'm still going to stick to my guns and use this event as further practice for the new things Tim wants me to fix.

P.S. As I said in my last post, I love my Flip Video for capturing footage of my golf swing. Here is a picture of my set-up (collapsed). Leaned up against it is my 56 degree wedge. As you can see, it's compact and lightweight. You can get yours at Zappos.



No comments: